After having taught for several years in Graz, Monaghan (Ireland) and Saalfelden, Renate Wurm-Smole joined St. Martin in 2003 to teach English and Italian. She has been a member of the bilingual teaching team since 2005 and took on the role of coordinator of the bilingual classes in 2009.
Andrea Foster joined the school in 2012 as a native speaker. She supports the bilingual teachers in subjects such as English, History, Art and Handicrafts and she is responsible for the first forms’ Christmas performance. Since 2020 Andrea has assisted with the coordination of the bilingual classes.
The bilingual stream consists of 16 classes and more than 60 teachers and native speakers. Together, Andrea Foster and Renate Wurm-Smole deal with the daily issues that can arise within the bilingual classes. Their roles and responsibilities include:
- Link between the IBC teachers, the head of school and the bilingual classes’ parents association (IBCA)
- Coordination of projects throughout the year including a Christmas performance and an annual project for all the bilingual classes
- Providing guidance for the native speakers
- Recruitment of new native speakers when necessary
- Timetable coordination for bilingual teachers and native speakers, including extra courses such as Games and Role Play
- Organisation of the entrance procedure for new pupils
- Coordination of various events such as Cambridge Certificate award ceremony or the bilingual classes’ contribution for the open evening for the primary schools
- Organisation of book orders and photocopies
Both Renate Wurm-Smole and Andrea Foster are passionate about the bilingual stream and strive to ensure its constant success and development.